Monday, January 2, 2012

Reka&David's Special Day - The Sydney Harbour Wedding

When you travel 16,000km to explore a new country, a new life, and only plan to stay for 6 months; there are a lot of things on your to-do list - well, falling in love is probably not one of them.

Sometimes however you need to travel far to find love. And as unexpected as it was that is exactly what's happened to Reka who is originally from Hungary. Even after meeting David at a party in Sydney she didn't think it will end up saying "I do" in the Italian Village ;) After a lot of travelling and challanges, these two people realized that tieing the knot is what would make their love a whole.

Then my phone rang. Reka casually asked how I'm doing and if I'm still doing photography - me still not expecting what came next. Yes, she asked me if I'd photographed her special day... As much of an honour as it is for me when someone trust me enough to give me this important task; I said no. I don't claim to be a wedding photographer - and that's exactly what I told her too. (When you are a fan of Jasmine Star's as much as I am then you can understand why I wasn't sure if I am capable of shooting this wedding.) Shortly after the phone call I felt guilty because one of the reasons she wanted me to shoot the day was our mutual background - we are both Hungarians - and she felt she'd be more comfortable front of my camera than anyone elses. So I took the job.

And I couldn't be happier that I did, because as nerve wrecking as it was (eventho this wasn't my first wedding I photographed as a main photographer) it was just as exciting too because I knew that I'll be shooting in some gorgeous spots, mid-week, and the couple is gorgeous - it felt like first day in school, when you are so hungry for knowledge but still don't know how you'll perform.

Shooting in a hotel suite was a dream. It was big enough for the bride and groom to get ready seperately yet at the same place so I could shoot them both at the same time.




And the details... Oh those details and the fantastic light..





My favourite part of every wedding is the preparation - the very beginning of the day no guests see or be part of. I always feel honoured for being part of such a unique time with the couple. Oh, and cheering with champagne, laughing at silly jokes and seeing the beautiful bride glow.






Shooting in the Quay at The Rocks was a dream come true! So many pretty backdrops, and fantastic view of the Sydney Opera House incorporeted with the city skysrapers.







Thanks to Reka and David going aganist all traditions and wanting to have part of the location shoot before the ceremony, on the beach (on the other side of town) they happily agreed to the "First Look". This may be something that makes most people roll their eyes but I saw a lot of images from this kind of shoot from Jasmine Star and wanted to try it badly. To be honest if I'll ever get married, I will definitely request this option from my photographer. Seeing your partner the first time, all glammed up for you, on your Special Day, without distractions of all the guests... It is a magical moment to witness.







When we first discussed the wedding timeline I explained Reka that shooting in midday sun, on the beach would be the worst situation and we were both praying for an overcast day. Well, our prayers must have been lost in translation because the day turned out to be a gorgeous, clear sunny day. Life would be boring without challanges so after asking for advice from photographers who I believe to be much much better than me we went for it - afterall you can't just change the wedding timeline in last minute..







Then a few quick ones at The Rocks and in the gorgeous Sydney Harbour. (Love that location!!!)












And because David is Italian where else they would have had their ceremony if not in the Italian Village in the Rocks :) Great rustic setting for photos!






After all the formal photos, the reception kicked off in the restaurant upstairs - Oh, and the food... If anything could make me love Italian food any more than I already do, then it's this restaurant!











Ok, this blog post is way too long already so I will finish off with these. I left the best bit to the last because it was our 3rd location and as much as I was dreaming of photographing the couple at night front of the lit Sydney Opera House and Sydney Harbour Bridge; I knew I can't really do it without an assistant holding a video light. My prayer might have been unheard regarding the weather during the day but I was getting something so much more awesome: the video crew and their video light! My absolute favourite shots are definitely these ones :) A giant thank you to Louis Freris and his team!




2 comments:

  1. One of the most professional people we have ever had the pleasure of being photographed by is Agi.
    We would like to say thank you for the patience and for all the hard work, driving us to locations, taking the most amaizing photos and being a beautiful person that she is. She went above and beyond the call of duty. We would recommend her services to anyone.

    David and Reka

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely job! You had no reason to be nervous! ;)

    ReplyDelete